SHARI (SA818 Ham Allstar Radio Interface) PiHat (Unistorm Case) is a kit construction project for ham radio operators that implements a Raspberry Pi2, Pi3 or Pi4 hosted Allstar node using a NiceRF SA818S embedded UHF (420 – 450 MHz) or a VHF (144-148 MHz) radio module. The radio module and interface circuits are located on a custom Raspberry Pi Hat board. A complete Allstar node can be created with a SHARI PiHat Unistorm Case kit, a Raspberry Pi2, Pi3 or Pi4 (with power supply and microSD card) and an Allstar image.
There are several options available including:
- Pi3 or Pi4 single board computer.
- UHF (70 cm) or VHF (2 meters) ham band.
- Vertical straight antenna or elbow right-angle antenna.
- Optional cooling fan
- Uses CMedia CM108B or CM119B USB Audio IC.
- Uses a NiceRF SA818S UHF (420-450 MHZ) or VHF (144-148MHz) embedded radio module (www.nicerf.com) with an LTCC lowpass output filter
- 250 to 500 milliwatts RF output power
- Raspberry Pi, power supply and microSD card provided by kit builder.
- Unistorm Pi3 or Pi4 rugged, RFI resistant metal enclosure with perforated top for ventilation.
- RX/TX serial connection from the Pi4 GPIO to the SA-818 radio module to change RF module parameters including RF and CTCSS/CDCSS frequencies.
- Clamp-on ferrite provided to mitigate buzz interference from high RF fields near the Pi power supply.
- Two antenna options (Elbow and Straight Rod).
- Cooling fan option (requires no additional holes to be drilled in the case)
SHARI PiHat (Unistorm Case) is a construction project. It consists of the parts shown in the photo below (straight antenna option shown).
The kit builder supplies the Raspberry Pi, the Pi power supply and a microSD card to complete the self-contained Allstar node.
The kit uses a single circuit board. The circuit board contains installed surface mount parts as well as several through-hole parts and the SA-818S radio that the kit builder installs.
A comprehensive step-by-step construction/assembly manual to construct an Allstar node using a SHARI PiHat (Unistorm Case) kit is available.
Additional information can be found here:
SHARI PiHat (Unistorm Case) is designed as a kit for construction and use in the amateur radio service by licensed amateur radio operators who can assure that the unit they construct meets 47 CFR Part 97 – Amateur Radio Service required operating requirements including frequency, bandwidth and required power levels at the fundamental and harmonic frequencies.
SHARI PiHat (Unistorm Case)
- Kit – Available as a parts kit for $80 (UHF or VHF, right-angle or straight antenna). You supply the Raspberry Pi, Pi power supply and microSD card to complete your Allstar node . Please be sure to download and study the SHARI PiHat Construction manual to be sure you own the required tools and possess the required mechanical and soldering skills to build the kit.
– We will solder the SA818S radio module onto the PCB for an additional $5.
– The fan option is $8
- Built (We supply all parts except microSD card) – If you want us to supply the Pi and power supply also, then an assembled unit is $205. This option is currently available as we have a stock of Pi4-2 GB boards.
SHARI PiHat Mod2 board only
The PiHat Mod2 board now includes an installed U.FL coaxial connector (J3 in the following photo). This can be used with a user supplied coax cable/SMA connector assembly to easily locate the user supplied antenna in the desired location in a user supplied case.
The SHARI PiHat Mod2 board is available as a kit for $65. This consists of a printed circuit board with all SMD parts installed (the builder installs the following supplied parts)
- SA818S radio module
- JST right angle male connector (J2)
- 2 conductor cable with female JST connector and 2 hole binocular ferrite to connect to RPi
- SMA antenna connector
- 40 pin female GPIO connector
The purchaser must specify:
- SMA connector type (Vertical or edge-mount SMA connector)
- UHF or VHF band
- Installation of the SA818 (additional $5)
- Fully assembled and tested (additional $25)
- Fan with right angle pin header ($10)
Shipping to US destinations is $9 via USPS Priority Mail provided your order fits in our standard shipping box. Payment via Paypal is preferred.
Send an email including your amateur radio call indicating the SHARI PiHat model and type (kit or assembled) you would like to buy to email@example.com for ordering and delivery information. We will send you an order form to join our wait list and a customized Paypal invoice to pay.